Master This Recipe and Life Improves
Cook Skinny Tip - Roasted Garlic
If I could, I would begin every meal with garlic. I really would. Garlic is an obvious flavor powerhouse, but raw garlic can be too pungent and aggressive, overpowering more subtle flavors that also deserve a chance to shine. Enter roasted garlic, or garlic candy as I like to call it.
Roasted garlic is much milder, sweeter in fact. Adding a bit of roasted garlic to nearly any dish is a way to subtly rev up the flavor (here is the best part) without revving up fat and calories. I always have an entire head of roasted garlic in my fridge to use as I want. As glorious and delicious as roasted garlic is, it is also one of the best skinny cooking tips out there.
From a nutrition point of view garlic is a top cancer fighting compound, the best food to boost immunity (say goodbye to those spring colds!) and a phenomenal anti-inflammatory, which “SKINNY TIP!” aids in weight loss.
How do I use Roasted Garlic?
- Mash it up with a little olive oil and and put on top of any steamed veggies.
- Make garlic mashed cauliflower (steam cauliflower until soft, mash with an entire head of roasted garlic a small drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper)
- 1 head of roasted garlic, 1 can chickpeas, a bit of tahini, process in food processor VOILA! roasted Roasted Garlic Hummus
- Mash a few cloves of roasted garlic w/ lemon juice, salt and pepper, a small drizzle of olive oil = delicious salad dressing!
- Add 1 head roasted garlic to 1/4 cup veggie stock, whisk until well combined toss with whole grain pasta, or any grain, plus veggies. Top w/ 1 tbsp parmesean cheese.
- Spread on whole grain toast w/ a slice of avocado and tomato. Lunch.
- Squeeze 1 head roasted garlic into virtually any soup or stew or chili to make it the best tasting soup or stew or chili you have ever had. Truth.
How to Roast a Head of Garlic
STEP #1: Preheat oven to 425
STEP #2: Always begin with at least 2 whole heads of garlic. It is an utter waste of time to only roast 1.
STEP #3: Chop off their heads!
STEP #4: Place on sheets of tinfoil
STEP #5: Drizzle each head with 1/2 tsp Olive Oil a pinch of salt and a pinch of black pepper
STEP #6: Seal the packets tightly and bake in oven for 40 minutes, or until garlic is super soft and will ooze out if you squeeze it
STEP #7: Remove from oven and marvel at the glorious garlic candy you just created. It is mellow, creamy, and spreadable!