You Put Squash in What!?!?
Butternut Squash Brownies
Squash, squash, squash… I love squash. (Did you pick up on the Anchorman reference?) But really, I LOVE squash. As soon as there is a chill in the air there is a squash in my oven. Wait, that sounds weird. You get the gist of it, I love squash.
I grew up with food, real food, serving to herald in the seasons. As the leaves changed hues my mom would instinctively change what she was feeding us. Summer brought fresh berry creations and farm stand corn, Winter brought hearty soups and stews and Fall brought squash. Baked acorn squash w/ brown sugar and butter (just like her mom used to make,) butternut squash soup, and more recently kabocha squash creations that are so good I just shed a little tear thinking of them.
Here is where I am forced to inject a little Nutritious America wisdom. My mom is sooo smart, like really really smart. Winter squash like butternut, acorn, and kabocha is the perfect food to introduce at this time of year. Why? You may ask. Well, squash dramatically helps curb sugar cravings. So think about it, we are right around the corner from Halloween (bags, and bags, and bags of awful, but tasty candy) which is simply the intro to the next 3 holidays that leave us with SUGAR plum fairies dancing in our heads.
So introduce some squash into your life NOW to help your body naturally crowd out that sugar that leaves us with the “how in the world did I gain 10 lbs??” January blues.
But I don’t like squash! Too bad. Just kidding. I know it’s not everyone’s favorite food (I am flummoxed as to how that is possible) but still, I get it. Or… my kid’s would never eat squash. sigh. Yes, parenting is hard. I am the best parent EVER! (as I don’t yet have kids) Well here is a great recipe to sneak some squash goodness into your kids, your own, or your picky boyfriends lives.
Introducing Butternut Squash Brownies!
I PROMISE you are going to love me for this one!
- 3/4 cup of butternut squash pureed
- 2 ounces of 100% cacao (cocoa) unsweetened chocolate melted (I love Dagoba brand)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of quinoa flour
- 1/4 cup of organic cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate chips
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 whisk
- 1 medium wooden spoon
- 1 8x8 baking dish
- 1 food processor
- Amount Per Serving:
- Total Fat:
- Saturated Fat:
- Total Carbs:
- Dietary Fiber:
- Melt 2oz. unsweetened chocolate in a double boiler, or if you must, use a microwave (be cautious to not burn the chocolate).
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Add chocolate to pureed squash, mix well.
- Add eggs, vanilla, and melted coconut oil to squash/chocolate mixture, whisk well to combine.
- Combine all dry ingredients (quinoa flour, cocoa powder, coconut palm sugar, salt, baking soda) whisk to combine.
- Add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. mix well (it will be thick and fudge-y)
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Lightly coat bottom of 8x8 baking dish with coconut oil. Add batter
- Bake @ 350° for 25-30 minutes. Do not over bake. Brownies are done when edges are light brown, center will still be soft to the touch a toothpick inserted in center will NOT come out clean.
- Allow to cool, Enjoy!