Serious Comfort Food Alert!
Coconut Creamed Greens and Quinoa
Ahh… comfort food. No, seriously THIS is comfort food. You know those days when you just want to curl up with something uber satisfying? Something that will stick to your ribs? Comfort food is something that brings you back to being nourished as a child, being taken care of. Food really is so much more than just food, it can evoke a memory, a certain place, a certain time, a state of being.
I needed that this weekend, I wanted to be transported, to be enveloped in a big warm blanket, curled up on the couch with something warm and hearty. It was a snowy, cold weekend in New York and this dish is exactly what the doctor ordered.
Let’s talk about quinoa for a minute. As I was preparing this I realized I hadn’t done a quinoa dish on the blog yet which is really kind of absurd! You see, I am a quinoa lover, a quinoa connoisseur, a quinoa convert. If quinoa is an unfamiliar ingredient to you give this dish and you will see why I am so enamored. It is a grain, much like rice, but soooooo much more than rice. It has more protein than any grain, is gluten-free, has tons of fiber AND (this is the important part) it only takes 15 minutes to make. Oh, and it’s yummy… of course. Quinoa is super versatile and it serves as the grounding, carbohydrate, comfort part of this dish.
Curious about quinoa? Comment below and let me know if you would like some more quinoa recipes or if you have one you’d like to share.
Now go curl up with a bowl of this and thank me later.
- Ready Time: 25 mins
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 15-20 min
- 1 cup of onion sliced
- 1 cup of mushrooms sliced
- 3 garlic cloves sliced
- 3 cups of kale cooked, or swiss chard, collard greens, or raw baby spinach
- 1 cup of quinoa see instructions
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup of vegetable stock
- 1 pinch of crushed red pepper flake
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 large skillet
- 1 wooden spoon
- In a large skillet saute 1 cup sliced onions in 1 tsp olive oil for 3 minutes on medium heat. Add 3 cloves of sliced garlic continue cooking for 2-3 minutes
- Add 1 cup sliced mushrooms, cook until brown (about 3 more minutes) season w/ salt and pepper
- Add 3 cups cooked greens.
- Add 1/2 cup coconut milk, bring to a simmer. You may need to add up to a 1/2 cup vegetable stock for more liquid. Continue cooking for 4 minutes
- Add 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Add sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes
- Stir to combine and serve.