“Warm Me Up” Soup, A Simple Slow Cooker Recipe
Smokey Tomato, Greens, and Turkey - Slow Cooker Soup
Well, it is officially winter here in New York. I walked 3 blocks to the grocery store today and froze my little fingers off. Winter is a time of introspection, we spend more time indoors, we tend to get more peaceful, quiet. Peace and quiet in New York City is always a miraculous thing, so I like to take some time in the winter to relish this sensation. Calm down a little… slow down a lot! Enter the marvelous slow cooker.
I love using my slow cooker on cold winter days, all day I know there is a warm bowl of something amazing waiting for me. This is one of my go to recipes, it has all the elements; a little protein, a little smokey (have you caught on yet that I LOVE smokey??) a lot of greens, YUM!
The video is a mere 4 minutes, which is exactly how long it will take you to put this meal together. I also talk you through a few important points… including what to watch out for when buying ground turkey! (If you are impatient… and not into the video thing, the recipe is below… I’ve always got you covered)
What is your favorite cold day recipe? Do you use a slow cooker? I’d love to hear all about it!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 pound of organic ground turkey white
- 1 whole onion
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 can of organic white beans
- 1 can of organic diced tomatoes
- 2 cups of organic fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups of kale bite size pieces
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 4 cups of organic chicken stock
- 3 cups of organic baby spinach
- 1 slow cooker
Ground Turkey, Kale and Spinach Soup in a Slow Cooker -- powered by ehow
- Brown ground turkey, leaving the turkey in larger chunks
- Add turkey to slow cooker (I have a slow cooker that I can brown in, if you do not, brown the turkey in a pan on the stove then add to cooker) then add all ingredients EXCEPT spinach
- Stir well, be sure all ingredients are well coated with seasoning
- Cook on high for 4 hours (or low for 8 hours)
- When finished add spinach, stir and serve. OR... if you want to save this soup for a few days add the spinach to bowls and top with soup. The soup will keep better in the fridge without the spinach in it.
- Top with grated Parmesan (optional)