Roasted Butternut Squash, Kale, and Figs
Butternut Squash, Figs, and Kale
This recipe was an experiment in, “use up all the items in my fridge.” OR my own little personal Iron Chef challenge.
It was the end of the week, I hadn’t been to the market or farm stand since Monday and I had a random ‘hodge podge’ of ingredients. In the spirit of Tim Gunn, I just had to, “make it work.” Well work it did.
My fridge had left over chopped onion (I always chop more than I need, chop once and use it as many times as you can) 1/2 a chopped butternut squash, some figs that had a few hours of life left, fresh rosemary and a gorgeous organic pork chop from Oink and Gobble farm in upstate New York (am I supposed to resist something that is called oink and gobble, come on!) And a small hunk of Gorgonzola Dulce, one of the best cheese treats on the planet.
This little masterpiece was born, the cheese is absolutely optional, but boy was it a tasty addition. Oh, one very important note, I had some leftover extravaganza the next day so I threw it in a saute pan w/ 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil…OMG! I don’t know which version I like better… so always make extra so you can have glorious left overs the next day.
Massage raw kale w/ olive oil
- Ready Time: 50 mins
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- 1 head of kale leaves stripped from stem and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1/2 large butternut squash peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 12 medium figs sliced in half
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of coconut palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon of pomegranate balsamic vinegar fig balsamic or regular balsamic will work but pomegranate is the best for this recipe
- 3 tablespoons of gorgonzola dulce *optional
- 1 large baking sheet
- 1 large mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Place butternut squash, onion, rosemary on baking sheet
- Toss w/ 2 tbsp olive oil, cayenne, salt and pepper
- Roast in oven for 25 minutes (tossing once during roasting)
- Remove from oven, place figs on cookie sheet with squash/onion mixture, sprinkle coconut palm sugar over figs.
- Return to oven and roast for an additional 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, massage raw kale w/ 1 tbsp olive oil. Really give the kale some love. Allow to sit for 20 minutes
- Add squash, fig mixture (discard large rosemary sprigs) to massaged kale. Toss well to combine
- Add pomegranate balsamic vinegar to salad. Gently toss.
- Arrange on plate w/ a few blubs (that is a technical term) of Gorgonzola Dulce
- (Optional) I also topped with perfectly grilled Oink and Gobble Farms pork chop