Post Thanksgiving Fat and Liver Cleanse Recipe
Pan Roasted Curry Artichokes with Mint and Pistachios
I don’t know about you, but after Thanksgiving I start to crave a radically different flavor profile. Something spicy and fragrant. A dish that is layered with more than just the turkey day roster of fat, salt, fat, and salt. Speaking of fat and salt, what about a dish that could help your body detoxify a bit from the “over doing it” of the holiday. (WHAT? You didn’t follow my food rules?) You would be on board, eh?
For me the post thanksgiving flavor search begins with a ceremonious opening of my beloved Indian spice box filled with vibrant, pungent, deep orange and yellow indian spices. A gift from a dear friend, each time I open this treasure chest I am overwhelmed with gratitude for this gift that has aided in thousands of meals.
As for the fat and liver cleansing action? Well my friends, that is all due to the power of the artichoke (check out the posts below to read more about this mighty liver detoxifier)
Below is a step by step video + written recipe. BUT if peeling and messing with baby artichokes isn’t your jam go ahead a grab a bag of frozen artichokes, they work just as well.
Or if artichokes in general aren’t your jam (although you should read that article to see why they should be..hint…you will be able to drink more @ your holiday parties if you eat them!) try this recipe with carrots I can almost guarantee it would be equally delicious.
One more tip… don’t be afraid of the 3 dried spices I use here, if you don’t have them on hand try the recipe anyway using just the curry powder.
Happy cleansing my friends. Till next week when I am sure to break up this liver love fest with some holiday sweet treats. K?
Pan-Roasted Baby Artichokes — powered by ehow
- 1 pound of baby artichokes
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seed, whole
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard, seed
- 3/4 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of pistachios, shelled
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt
DirectionsTo prepare baby artichokes:
- Peel the tough outer leaves off the choke, keep peeling until you reach the tender inner leaves. Trim the stem and the top 1/3 of artichoke. Cut into quarters. Immediately immerse in a bowl full of cold water and juice from one lemon.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a small cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow seeds to toast and pop for 2 minutes to release flavor.
- Thoroughly dry artichokes and add to skillet with curry powder and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. If artichokes begin to stick add 1-2 tbsp of water to release.
- Toss in pistachio nuts and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and chopped mint.