Cedar Plank Stuffed Mushrooms
This one is for all of your vegetarians out there that have had to suffer through frozen dry veggie burgers at every summer cook out. This has all the makings of a delicious burger; meaty portobello mushrooms, bread, and cheese, YUM!
- 4 portobello mushroom reserve the stems and chop
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of mustard seed
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 cups of kale, chopped
- 2 cups of bread, cut into croutons I used rye
- 1/2-3/4 cups of veggie stock
- cheese I used Tallegio, but your favorite cheese will work
- Spread bread croutons onto a large baking sheet and Toast in 350˚ oven for 10 minutes
- Prepare mushrooms, remove stems chop and reserve. Remove gills. Set mushrooms aside
- Meanwhile in a large skillet melt coconut oil over medium heat, add mustard seeds and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes, they will pop a bit, that’s ok.
- Add onion and reserved chopped mushroom stems to pan and cook for 4 minutes until onion is translucent. Add garlic and kale, cook until kale is wilted (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add bread croutons and veggie stock to skillet, cook until bread absorbs veggie stock. This should resemble a stuffing. Add more stock if needed.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms, unstuffed, on a hot grill. Grill for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from grill.
- Place mushrooms on cedar plank, stuff each mushroom with kale stuffing, top with cheese of your choice. (I used tallegio, but mozzarella, goat, feta, or parmesan would be delicious)
- Place cedar plank on grill (be sure to soak cedar plank ahead of time), put cover on grill and allow to cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from grill and serve.