Pan Roasted Curried Artichokes with Mint and Pistachio
When baby artichokes are in season run to the market and grab them. Simple to prepare and so versatile, this pan roasted curried version will be your new favorite side dish. Perfectly suited as a side dish to lamb chops, grilled steak or as the main event.
- 1 pound of baby artichokes
- 1 lemon juice of
- 2 tablespoons of grapeseed oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin seed, whole
- 1/4 teaspoon of mustard, seed
- 3/4 teaspoon of curry powder
- 2 tablespoons of pistachios, shelled
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of chopped mint
- 1 tablespoon of greek yogurt
To prepare baby artichokes:
- Peel the tough outer leaves off the choke, keep peeling until you reach the tender inner leaves. Trim the stem and the top 1/3 of artichoke. Cut into quarters. Immediately immerse in a bowl full of cold water and juice from one lemon.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a small cast iron skillet over medium high heat, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Allow seeds to toast and pop for 2 minutes to release flavor.
- Thoroughly dry artichokes and add to skillet with curry powder and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes stirring frequently. If artichokes begin to stick add 1-2 tbsp of water to release.
- Toss in pistachio nuts and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until artichokes are tender.
- Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt and chopped mint.